The co-curricular programme at King Edward VI School is an integral part of school life. It provides an opportunity for personal enrichment whilst supporting academic excellence. Fixtures play a significant part in this and it is important at this stage of term to outline the expectations for sports participation.
1. Most importantly, it is the expectation of the School that if selected to play in a sporting fixture, either at the weekend or during the School week, pupils will be available and that the School fixture be a priority.
2. It is recognised that there may be individual circumstances that prevent this on occasions. In these instances a written note of request for absence from a parent or guardian should be sent to the member of staff responsible for the team for approval detailing the reason for the request. This must be received at least three days in advance of the fixture and may be forwarded to the Director of Sport if deemed necessary.
3. Any unauthorised absence will be treated seriously by the Director of Sport on behalf of the school.
4. All fixtures can be found on the website on:
5. For away matches teams will meet at, and return to, the Hill Lane gate. Members of staff will inform pupils of the expected departure and return time. Players will only be dropped off ‘en route’ in exceptional circumstances and if the member of staff is in receipt of a letter of request from the parent or guardian.
6. For Saturday home matches on the Hill Lane site pupils should enter by the Hill Lane gate only and change where instructed for the sport they are playing. Teas will be served in the dining room after each match and players are expected to take tea before being released.
7. For Saturday home matches at Wellington Sports Ground pupils should go directly to Wellington and change as directed on the changing room noticeboard. Again tea is served after the matches and pupils are expected to take tea before being released.
8. In terms of appearance those playing rugby will be expected to arrive in School uniform and those playing cricket will be expected to arrive in cricket whites and blazer. For all other sports pupils will be required to arrive in their playing kit and School tracksuit.
I hope that this clarifies the sporting expectation clearly and I hope that your son or daughter enjoys being involved in the sporting life of King Edward VI School
Mr Dan Kent
Director of Sport
Wednesday 11th September