The co-curricular programme at King Edward VI School is an integral part of school life. It provides an opportunity for personal enrichment whilst supporting academic excellence. Sports Fixtures play a significant part in this and it is important that we outline the expectations we have of our students for sports participation.
1. Most importantly, it is the expectation of the School that if selected to play in a sporting fixture, either at the weekend or during the School week, pupils will be available and that the School fixture be a priority.
2. It is recognised that there may be individual circumstances that on occasion prevent this. In these instances an email request for absence from a parent or guardian should be sent to the member of staff responsible for the team detailing the reason for the request. This must be received at least three days in advance of the fixture and may be forwarded to the Director of Sport if deemed necessary.
3. Where the clash is for sporting reasons consideration will be given to sporting activities that are at a regional level or higher.
4. Any unauthorised absence will be followed up by the Director of Sport.
5. All fixtures can be found on the website on:
6. For away matches travelling by coach teams will depart from, and return to, Wellington Sports Ground. Members of staff will inform pupils of the expected departure and return time. Players will only be dropped off ‘en route’ in exceptional circumstances and if the member of staff is in receipt of a letter of request from the parent or guardian.
7. For away matches travelling by minibus teams will depart from, and return to, Hill Lane. Students are to meet at the Hill Lane gate no later than the time published on the team sheet.
8. For Saturday home matches on the Hill Lane site pupils should enter by the Hill Lane gate only and change where instructed for the sport they are playing. Teas will be served in the dining room after each match and players are expected to take tea before being released.
9. For Saturday home matches at Wellington Sports Ground pupils should go directly to Wellington and change as directed on the information board. Again tea is served after the matches and pupils are expected to take tea before being released.
10. In terms of appearance those playing rugby will be expected to arrive in School uniform and those playing cricket will be expected to arrive in cricket whites and blazer. For all other sports pupils will be required to arrive in their playing kit and School tracksuit.
I hope that this clarifies the sporting expectation clearly and I hope that your son or daughter enjoys being involved in the sporting life of King Edward VI School
Mr Dan Kent
Director of Sport